Adolphus Bauer M.D. (March 1806 – 13 October 1867)
Adolphus Bauer was born and educated in Germany. He became a citizen of Cincinnati about 1848. He soon acquired a large practice among the best citizens, which clung to him under the most severe trials.
No one could retain a firmer hold upon his patrons than Dr. Bauer. He died in 1867, lamented by a large number of his fellow citizens. Dr. Bauer was always regarded as a friend to the afflicted poor.
On August 23, 1834, the medical society called the Homeopathic Society of Northampton and Counties Adjacent was formed. The members from Lehigh (at that time Northampton) were Rev. Johannes Helffrich, Dr. John Romig, Dr. Joseph Hyppolyte Pulte and Dr. Adolph Bauer. Joseph Hyppolyte Pulte practiced in Troxlertown, and Adolphus Bauer (treasurer) in Lyn township.
William Wesselhoeft, Constantine Hering, John Romig, John Eberhard Freitag, John Charles Gosewisch, Henry Detweiller and Gustav Reichhelm, were also instrumental in this group of founding homeopaths. They founded the North American Academy of Homoeopathic Medicine (aka the Allentown Academy) and were essentially responsible for the growth of homeopathy in the United States. At the first meeting of the Academy Council on 27 May 1835, Bauer was elected as Secretary of the Council, with Constantine Hering as President and John Romig the Vice-President.
Later, Adolphus Bauer practiced in Cincinnati and he contributed generously to many homeopathic journals. He was also an active prover of homeopathic remedies, using himself as a guinea pig. Adolphus Bauer was also a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy.
Adolphus Bauer was married to Theresa Bauer (1811 – 1859). They had one daughter, Tracy Bowers (1837 – 1933).
William J. Bauer (1821 – 6 November 1886 ) was of Quaker parentage and since 1850 had practiced as an homeopath in New York City.
After the completion of his education he went to New York, where he was for some time engaged in the stereotyping and publishing business, which he relinquished, and entered upon the study of medicine in the office of Drs. John Franklin Gray and Amos Gerald Hull.
He graduated from the New York Medical College (old school) in March, 1857. After receiving his diploma he became associated in practice with Drs. John Franklin Gray and Alton Graham Warner, continuing so until 1863, when he commenced by himself.
Ernest William Bauer M.D. (28 January 1898 – 16 March 1970) (no apparent relation), one time resident physician at Grace Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, was a graduate of the Medical Department of the University of Michigan. He was listed in the Directory of Homeopathic Physicians in 1925. Bauer was born in Wyandotte, Michigan, and practiced for over 45 years in Hazel Park and Berkley, Oakland County, Michigan. He was a member of the American Medical Association, the Oakland, Wayne County and Michigan State Medical Societies. Both his sons, Bruce D. and E. William Bauer Jr., also became physicians.