George Rogers M.D. (23 December 1806 – 7 June 1862) was an orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy, to become House Surgeon at the Hahnemann Hospital at 39 Bloomsbury Square,
George Rogers practiced at 97 Newgate Street and at 17 Royal Hill, Greenwich,
George Rogers was born in Calcutta, India, in December 1806, to Alexander and Elizabeth Rogers.
In 1829 George Rogers received his M.D. from the University of Edinburgh. That same year he also became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons (England) and obtained his Licentiate from the Society of Apothecaries.
George Rogers was house surgeon at the Hahnemann Hospital at 39 Bloomsbury Square alongside William Henry Ashurst, William Thomas Berger, Anthony Ebenezer Blest, W. A. Case, James Chapman, John Chapman, Edward Charles Chepmell, Clare, Edward Cronin, Paul Francois Curie, J. M. Douglas, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, Thomas Engall, John Epps, George Fearon, G. H. Fletcher, John Fowler, Gill, Joseph Glover, F. L. R. Suss Hahnemann, Robert Hamilton, Joseph Hands, Sydney Hanson, Amos Henriques, Thomas Higgs, JT H Johnstone, Henry Kelsall, Joseph Laurie, Charles Powell Leslie, Henry Victor Malan, John Miller, Augustus Henry Moreton, G. P. Nichols, Charles Pasley, Paterson, A. P. Phelps, J. Rogers, Mathias Roth, Frederick Sandoz, Phillip Sandoz, W. Stephenson, Samuel Sugden, Allan Templeton, Major Charles William Tyndale, William Warne, A Wilkinson, James John Garth Wilkinson, David Wilson, S Wilson, George Wyld.
George Rogers and his wife Isabella (died c.1850) had at least four children: Christiana L.C. (1838 – 1870), Clara J. (1841 – 1898), George G. (1844 – ?), Isabella Emblyn (? – 1881 ). In March, 1833, Rogers and his wife arrived in India where they may have had a first born son in 1836.
By 1850, Rogers was practicing in London. During his time as house surgeon at the short-lived Hahnemann Hospital at 39 Bloomsbury Square, George Rogers contracted small pox, followed by pneumonia. He never fully recovered from these illnesses.
In 1852 Rogers, listed as residing in London, was one of more than 500 graduates of the University of Edinburgh who signed a petition to the university Faculty in support of homeopathy.
In the 1861 Medical Register George Rogers was practicing at 9 Addington Place, Camberwell, Surrey. He died there in June, 1862 aged 57, shortly after a convalescent stay in St Leonards.
C. K. Rogers (no apparent relation) was involved with the Phillips Memorial homeopathic hospital, Bromley, in 1903-4.
G. R. Rogers A.C.C.S. (no apparent relation) was the Treasurer of the London Homeopathic Hospital in 1968.
A J. Rogers M.D. was listed in the 1853 and 1855 Homeopathic Directories as a homeopath at 39 Bloomsbury Square in 1850, and residing at 17 Royal Hill, Greenwich. However this is very likely a misprint of George Rogers, who practiced at both addresses.
James Rogers M.D. (no apparent relation), Physician to the British Ligation and the Abouchoff Hospital in St. Petersberg, wrote a critique of homeopathy, On the present state of therapeutics: with some suggestions for placing it on a more scientific basis in 1870,
Rev. John Rogers (1805? – 1868?) became the Chaplain of the London Homeopathic Hospital in 1867.
Robert Rogerson L.F.P.S. was a homeopath in Stockport in the 1860s.
Leave A Comment