Samuel Morgan M.D. M.R.C.S. L.S.A. (3 September 1832 – 19 December 1920) was an English homeopathic physician who worked for twenty years at the Bath Homeopathic Hospital. He was subsequently instrumental in the foundation of a new Homeopathic Dispensary and Hospital in Bristol, serving first as Honorary Physician, then as Consulting Physician and Chairman of the Board of Management.

Morgan became a member of the British Homeopathic Society in 1867. In September, 1876, he participated in the British Homeopathic Congress, held at the Victoria Rooms in Clifton, Bristol. The same year, Morgan was also listed as a subscriber for a proposed school of homeopathy. Samuel Morgan was also a member of the homeopathic Western Counties Therapeutical Society, alongside Archibald Spiers Alexander, Francis Hervey Bodman, Robert Hume Fallon, William George Hardy, James Hamilton McKechnie, Thomas Dickinson Nicholson, George Norman, Percy Roberts Wilde, and Eubulus Williams. Morgan was also a colleague of Bath physician Edward Christopher Holland.

Samuel Morgan was born at Warminster, Wiltshire, in September 1832, to Jeremiah Morgan (1794 – 1865) and Sarah Wilton Proviss (1802 – 1875).

Morgan received his early education at Warminster Grammar School, before embarking on medical studies at St. Thomas’ Hospital in London.

In 1854, Morgan received the diplomas of the Royal College of Surgeons and the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries. During 1854 and 1855, he was Resident Medical Officer at Loughborough Infirmary.

Morgan graduated M.D. from the University of St Andrews in 1856 and that year relocated to Bath, where he was elected as Physician to the Bath Homeopathic Hospital.

Morgan worked tirelessly in this role until 1876, when ill-health obliged him to relocate to Clifton, Bristol.

In August 1863, Morgan had married Indian-born Caroline Eliza Thomas (1834 – 1912), daughter of Thomas James Wolferstan Thomas (1804 – 1845), a judge in the Madras civil service and his wife Ann Coultman (1804 – 1841). They had three daughters, Emily Caroline (b. 1866), Edith (1869 – 1942), and Harriett Alice (b. 1872).

Morgan established a new private practice in Clifton, and was involved in the creation of a new homeopathic dispensary and hospital. He served as Physician to this institution.

In 1888, Morgan was a contributor to a defence fund created to help with the legal costs incurred by an orthodox surgeon, Kenneth Millican. He was on the medical staff at the Queen’s Jubilee Hospital in London and had taken up a second post working alongside two homeopaths at the Margaret Street Infirmary. The committee at the Jubilee Hospital, opposed to consorting with homeopaths, terminated Millican from his role. He, in turn, took action for wrongful dismissal with the support of dozens of doctors, homeopaths and allopaths alike, ultimately winning the case.

Samuel Morgan continued to see patients until just two months before his death. After a prolonged illness on December 19, 1920, he died at his home, 15 Oakfield Road, Clifton aged 88, and was interred at Locksbrook Cemetery, Lower Weston, Bath.

Morgan’s Obituary, written by fellow Bristol homeopath Dr. Francis Hervey Bodman, and published in The Homeopathic World in July 1921, applauded Morgan’s contribution to homeopathy in the region, remarking that:

There is no doubt that the present position of Homeopathy in Bristol, Bath and the neighbouring counties is due in no small degree to the skill and devotion of the late Dr. Morgan during sixty-four years of practice as a homeopath.

Select Publications:

The Text Book for Domestic Practice, Being Plain & Concise Directions for the Administration of Homoeopathic Medicines, in Simple Ailments (1859)