All over Britain and Europe, Homeopathic Dispensaries and hospitals opened their doors for the treatment of the poor. In every case the treatment for poor people was offered completely free of charge, and the wealthier clients paid fees dependant upon a carefully graded system of payment charges.
Homeopathic Chemists as flourishing businesses obviously followed…
The following is a work in progress, listing them all…
The Alton Towers Homeopathic Dispensary – Francesco Romani,
Management Committee: George Cruickshank, E M Harris, S Morgan, Rev. G Newnham, George Newnham, H B Pierrepont, S Provis, J S Randell, E G Smith, Maj. Gen. Thorndike, Rev. J H Way, Lt. Col. Western, Col, Wynch,
1866 – Robert MacLimont was a Physician at the Hospital,
1868 – The staff of the hospital were:
Committee: George Cruickshank, E M Harris, S Morgan, Rev. G Newnham, George Newman, H B Pierrepoint, S Provis, J S Randall, E G Smith, Major General Thorndike, Rev. J H Way, Lt. Colonel. Western, Colonel Wynch,
The Belfast Homeopathic Dispensary, 23, Church Street, Belfast – George Stevenson Knowles,
The Birkenhead Homeopathic Dispensary 24 Argyll Street, Birkenhead, Physicians: *Eugene O’Neill, Wright,
Chairman: Major General Clarke,
Management Committee: W B Adams, F Bennoch, R Cornell, Captain Seymour, W Smith, Rev. J Thompson,
The Blackheath Home for Gentlewomen, Instituted 1868 by Ms. Brent, 45 Blessington Road, Lee, Kent,
Chaplain: Rev. Edward Ellis,
The Dispensary Homoeopathique Boulevard Auguste Blanqui, Paris – Leon Vannier,
The Homeopathic Dispensary in Paris at rue de l’Abbé Brout, Paris – Leon Vannier,
The Brighton Homeopathic Dispensary 6 Prince Albert Street, Instituted 1844 (and possibly at 10 Little George Street – see Brighton Folthorp City Directory for 1848 under a Robert Midden ?Madden – Richard Robert Madden),
Committee 1868 consisted of: Robert Bayly, Rev. E Clay, H Coke, Rev. J H Cross, Henry Hill, Captain Arthur H Hull, Rev. J Image, Captain Henry James, John Mullett, E C Tainish,
Treasurer: Henry Hill,
Honorary Secretary: Captain Henry James Lieutenant Royal Navy,
Assistant Secretary, Dispenser and Collector: Joseph Ockendon,
Physicians: Henry Belcher, George H Hanson, George James Hilbers, Richard Hughes, Edward M Madden, Henry R Madden, Richard Robert Madden, Di Michele, William Morgan, John Ockendon, Herbert Henry Wilde, Henry Woodgate,
The Brighton Homeopathic Dispensary opened a branch dispensary in 1902,
Scanned from the Folthorp Brighton City Directory 1861 p 446-447 (With thanks to *Alan Campbell (private researcher in Brighton 2.12.10):
LOCAL INTELLIGENCE. HOMEOPATHIC DISPENSARY. 6, Prince Albert-street.
Hon. Sec.–HENRY JAMES, Esq., Lieut. R.N.
Subscribers receive one ticket for each shilling subscribed, which ticket will admit a patient for one month to the benefits of the Institution. Donations of Five Pounds will entitle the giver to have Twenty-four tickets annually, and so on in proportion for any larger sum. Patients who do not obtain the recommendation of a Subscriber, may be admitted to the benefits of the Institution, on payment of One Shilling per month.
The Dispensary is open for the purpose of affording advice and medicine every day from nine till ten in the morning (Saturday and Sundays excepted). New cases cannot be admitted after 9.30.
Patients who are too ill to attend at the Dispensary will be visited at their own homes, but when such attendance is required, except in cases of emergency, it is necessary that notice should be sent to the Surgeon before 9 A.M. Subscriptions and Donations may be enclosed to the Honorary Secretary, or paid to the Collector, at the Dispensary, 6, Prince Albert-street.
The Brighton Homeopathic Institute for Diseases of Children 148 Western Road, Brighton,
The Brixton Homeopathic Dispensary, New Park Road, Brixton Hill.
Physician: Neville Wood,
The Camberwell Homeopathic Dispensary
The Cardiff Homeopathic Dispensary
The Chelsea Homeopathic Dispensary, Commercial Hall, King’s Road, Chelsea, Instituted, 1st January 1852.
Physician: Neville Wood,
Surgeon: D. Smith,
The Cheltenham Homeopathic Dispensary, Ingleside, Bayshill – instituted 1844, and at 17 Ormond Terrace, Regent Street in 1866, and at 1 Promenade Place in 1868, and Essex Place,
The City of London Homeopathic Dispensary
The Clapham and Kennington Homeopathic Dispensary
The Clapham Homeopathic Dispensary 7, Manob Street, Clapham.
Supported by Voluntary Contributions.
Committee: Rev. E O Morgan, Minerva Terrace, Brixton Road ; Rev. R. Frost, Crescent Lodge, Clapham Common; Bernard Barton, Esq., Percy Cottage, Studley Road, Stockwell; Henry Kift, Esq., Berkeley Villas, Loughborough Road ; G. Moore, Esq., Messina Cottage, 17, Sutherland Terrace, East Brixton; G Hayward, Water Lane, Dulwich Road.
The Dispensary will be open (for Out-Patients only) on Monday and Thursday Afternoons, from three to four o’clock. Subscribers of Half a Guinea and One Guinea per Anum, will have Four or Eight Tickets for distribution. The destitute Poor alone are to be considered proper objects for medical charity ; although others, who are unable to pay for medical advice, will be admitted as patients (with the consent of the Medical Officers) on payment of Half a Crown per Month to the Funds of the Dispensary.
The Derbyshire Homoeopathic Dispensary, 17, Wardwick, Derby
Instituted, 1st February, 1853.
Physician: Alfred Crosby Pope,
The Dublin Homeopathic Dispensary Instituted 1844, at 31 South Asia Street Dublin and at 33 Stephen’s Green Dublin, and at 122 Upper Abbey Street, Dublin, – Arthur Guinness, Charles William Luther, Gustavus Adolphus Luther– closed in the 1950s,
The Durham Homeopathic Dispensary, 48 Sadler Street, Instituted 1854,
Secretary: J Nicholson,
The East End Homeopathic Dispensary 1868,
President: Rev. A P Black,
Vice President: Captain P Campbell,
Honorary Secretary: W Pettit,
The East London Homeopathic Dispensary and Dental Surgery, Obelisk House, Burdett Road, Mile End – Physician: James Brown Dixon,
The Eccles and Patricroft Homeopathic Dispensary, Market Place, Eccles, near Manchester,
Medical Committee: James Barlow, E Cheetham, Rev. B Dale, James Grey, Robert Leake,
Treasurer and Chairman: James Syddall,
Honorary Secretary: James Baggot,
Patron: Arthur FitzGerald Kinnaird, 10th Lord Kinnaird, Physicians: George Atkin, Francis Black, Samuel Cockburn, William Henderson, Charles Ransford, John Rutherford Russell, John Stuart Sutherland, The Wielobycki Brothers,
President: John Henry Kennaway 3rd Baronet,
Treasurer: W Cotton,
Committee: Rev Cannon Lee, Rev. H H Courtenay, Rev. R Dunn, W M Floyd, John Gordon, George Chaplin Holroyd, H Northcote, J Rendall, J W Sillifant, Rev. C F Smith, Frederick Smith, W T Smith, Lieutenant Colonel Stafford, J F Wilkey, Rev. R Wilkins, Joseph Wippell, Rev. W Wippell,
Secretary and Dispenser: J Rendall,
The Folkestone Homeopathic Dispensary – Physicians *James Edward Liddiard,
Physicians: Henry Victor Malan,
Physicians: R Roberts,
The Hahnemann Convalescent Home – Bertram Wright Nankivell,
Patron: Arthur FitzGerald Kinnaird, 10th Lord Kinnaird, Henry Tate, (The Hahnemannian Medical Institution and Dispensary (London) – David Dyce Brown, John Chapman, Amos Henriques, Kelly, Henry Kelsall, Joseph Laurie, Henry P Osman, Sherwood,)
The Halifax Homeopathic Dispensary – John Hodgson Ramsbotham,
The Hastings Homeopathic Dispensary, 52 Robertson Street,
The Homeopathic Medical Association founded 1985
Administration Office : 7 Darnley Road, Gravesend, Kent DA11 0RU. Tel : 01474 560336 Fax: 01474 327431
Registered Office : 10-12 Wrotham Road, Gravesend, Kent DA11 0PE
Founders: Surjit Randhawa, Pyara Singh,
The Huddersfield Homeopathic Dispensary,
Physicians: ? Croucher,
The Hull Homeopathic Dispensary, 30 Whitefriargate,
President: Daniel Sykes,
Vice President: E A D Brooshooft,
Treasurer: W T Dibb,
Secretary: J L Seaton,
The Islington Homeopathic Dispensary, 20 Claremont Place, New Road, Angel Islington, instituted 1845,
The Kidderminster Homeopathic Dispensary, Instituted 17th July, 1847.
The London Home Hospital 10 Dean Street, Soho,
Physician: David Jones,
The Montparnasse Homeopathic Dispensary on Boulevard Montparnasse – Leon Vannier,
The Naples Homeopathic Dispensary – Georg von Necker
The Newcastle Homeopathic Dispensary
The Northamptonshire Homeopathic Dispensary, Northampton – President Charles Edmund Isham, Physicians: Arthur Crowden Clifton, Joseph Laurie. Charles Thomas Pearce was a Surgeon at the Northamptonshire Homeopathic Dispensary in 1851 (with thanks to David Charles Manners 14.12.11),
The North London Homeopathic Dispensary, 87 Essex Road, Islington,
The Northumberland and Newcastle Homeopathic Dispensary, Hood Street – Established 1844 – Thomas Hahnemann Hayle, Henry Elliott,
The Norfolk and Norwich Homeopathic Dispensary, Abington Street, Northampton – founded by William Bell in 1852, – Robert Douglas Hale, Robert Kerr, John Roche and his son Eleazer Roche (dispensary Medical Officer until 1926) (Carole Rawcliffe, Richard Wilson, Christine Clark, Norwich Since 1550, (Continuum International Publishing Group, 2004). Page 285), Robert Harmer Smith,
The North Wilts Homeopathic Dispensary Devizes – T Carter, Rev R Dawson, T B Fox, James Cornelius Madge, Charles Henry Marston, Sir R H Pollen, Lieutenant Colonel Salmon, Ed Simpson, Chas Sloper, James Stratton, Lieutenant Colonel Wallington, W Watson,
The Oxford Homeopathic Dispensary – Arthur Guinness,
The Pimlico Homeopathic Dispensary, 114 Ebury Street, SW
Physicians: Arch Hewan, Edward William Berridge, J Jones,
Chemist and Secretary: Alfred Heath,
The Reading and Berkshire Homeopathic Dispensary
Physician: Edward Harris Ruddock,
Honorary Treasurer: Alfred Waterhouse junior (1830-1905),
The Shepherd’s Bush Children’s Homeopathic Dispensary (The Dispensary was amalgamated with the London Homeopathic Hospital in 1937, and thus became part of the Children’s Outpatient Department there) – John Roberson Day, Harold Fergie Woods,
The Soho Homeopathic Dispensary, 18 Denmark Street, instituted 1852,
Dispenser and Treasurer: Charles Rendall,
The South End Homeopathic Dispensary –
The Southgate Homeopathic Dispensary,
The St. James’s Homeopathic Dispensary opened in 1842 at 8 King Street
St, Mary’s Homeopathic Dispensary, 80, High Steet, Hastings,
The Sunderland Homeopathic Dispensary 60 Faucett Street, Instituted 1849
The Sussex Country Homeopathic Dispensary
‘Thelibararian (Brighton) rooted around in her card file, and found a record book for the Sussex Country Homeopathic Dispensary, covering dates 1910 – 1927, containing 133 hardwritten pages. I scanned some of it; the Dispensary was at 29 Richmond Place in 1913. Chairman was always a W A Hounsom. Last meeting, at 4 Pavilion Buildings, seemed to be winding up the organisation. 28-29 Richmond Place had been sold for £2314.15.2, (or perhaps that sum less liabilities) sent to treasurer of the London Homeopathic Hospital. The record book is in libraries’ rare book section, so if you wanted to know more you’d probably have to come look at it in situ’ (from Alan Campbell (private researcher in Brighton 2.12.10)
Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge and Southborough Public Homeopathic Dispensary, Physician Charles Thomas Pearce (with thanks to David Charles Manners 14.12.11), Alex M. Walker MD.
The Lower Tottenham Infirmary for Woman and Children, linked to the Girl’s Industrial Orphan’s Home for 120 orphan children, and to the Evangelical Protestant Deaconesses’ Institution for the training of Nurses,
Trustees: E Ellis, R N Fowler, Joseph Howard, Theodore Howard,
Treasurer: W Booker,
Surgeon: *Joseph Kenny,
The West End Free Dispensary – Jones, Gurthrie, William Henry Mayne,
The West London Homeopathic Dispensary, 2 London Street Fitzroy, established 1841, and at 67 Newman Street, Oxford Street, established 1848. Founded to treat the poor and to enable medical men and students the opportunity to observe homeopathic method and treatment. 2200 patients were treated between 1841 – 1848, and 2006 patients were treated beteeen 1848 – 1849.
Honorary Secretary: W T T Elliott,
The Winchester Homeopathic Dispensary
The Wismar Homeopathic Dispensary
The Wolverhampton and Stafford Homeopathic Dispensary 8 Darlington Street, Wolverhampton and 27 Tipping Street Stafford (branches at Dudley, Wellington and Walsall) – Edward Thomas Blake, James Gibbs Blake, Frederick Flint, Joseph Lawrence, Edward Wynne Thomas,
*William Bradshaw MRCS England 1840, LSA London 1840, MD Aberdeen 1854, MBHS, was a British orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy to become Physician for the Nottinghamshire Homeopathic Dispensary, Vice President of the Midland Homeopathic Medical Society, Member of the Northern Homeopathic Medical Association, Member of the British Homeopathic Society, Bradshaw also practiced in Pepper Street, Nottingham, Holmrook in Cumbria, and in Worthing, and he submitted cases and articles to various homeopathic journals,
*Hugh Hastings ?1820 – ?1890,LSA London 1847, MRCS England 1845, MD Jenna 1854,was a British orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy, Physician at the Brixton Homeopathic Dispensary, Hastings practiced at Liverpool Lodge, Brixton Hill, London SW. In 1878, Charles Thomas Pearce founded the Hydropathic Establishment & Sanatorium at Durleston Park, on the cliffs above Swanage, Dorset, and on 30th July 1880, Hugh Hastings arrived with his family for a few weeks holiday. Hugh Hastings was described in The Isle of Purbeck Advertiser, which printed the names of all the new arrivals, thus: ‘… Dr. Hugh Hastings MD, MRCS, LSASM, formerly surgeon at the Homeopathic Dispensary in Essex Place, Cheltenham, Mrs [Dina] Hasting, Miss [Mabel] and Master [Charles] Hastings...’ The Isle of Purbeck Advertiser recorded them as still in residence on 12th August 1880. (David Charles Manners (3rd great grandson of Charles Thomas Pearce), Noodles & Knaves: Dr. Charles Thomas Pearce (1815-1883) ‘Martyr of Homeopathy’, (unpublished, 2012)). Hugh Hastings wrote A Retrospect of Allopathy and Homoepathy For the Last Thirty Years, with Cases in 1879, Consumption, its prevention and cure, A Dialogue on the Theory and Practice of Homeopathy and Allopathy, Scarlatina and Diphtheria, their treatment and prevention, Homeopathy Tested and Weighed in the Balance.
*Joseph Kenny ?1813 – ?1880, AB, MB Dublin 1840, LSA England 1842, MRCS England 1859, was an Irish orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy, to become Surgeon to the Lower Tottenham Infirmary for Women and Children, Kenny was born in Cork and practiced at 8 High Street, Stoke Newington, Kenny’s Obituary is in the British Homeopathic Review, Volume 14 in 1870,
*Michael Maximilian Augustus Henry Laseron 1819 – ?1888, MMAH, MD Jenna 1850, was a German Jew orthodox physician, previously a missionary in Mauritius for the British Society’s Jewish Mission College, who converted to homeopathy to become the Physician at the Lower Tottenham Infirmary for Women and Children, Laseron was the physician of Emily Gosse, the mother of Edmund William Gosse, When Malcolm Ronald Laing Meason 1824 – wrongly accused Laseron of fraud, Charles Dickens wrote to Malcolm Ronald Laing Meason to object, and Laseron obtained a written apology, prefaced by a paragraph by Charles Dickens, Laseron also practiced at Navarino Terrace, North Dalston, and Northampton Square, Goswell Road, London, Laseron was in Konigsberg, where his father was a Rabbi,
*James Edward Liddiard ?1863 – ?1923, FRGS, was a British orthodox physician, Member of the Royal Geographical Society, Member of the London Missionary Society, Member of the Royal Commonwealth Society, Member of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, who converted to homeopathy to become Physician at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Physician at the Folkestone Homeopathic Dispensary, Liddiard lived at Rosemont, North Finchley North, and at Rodborough Grange, Westcliffe Road, Bournemouth West,
*Eugene O’Neill ?1835 – ?1900 MRCS England 1852, MD Erlangen 1856, Gold Medalist Cork School of Medicine, was an Irish orthodox physician, Surgeon to the 93rd Highlanders, who converted to homeopathy to become a Physician at the Birkenhead Homeopathic Dispensary, Physician at the Liverpool Homeopathic Dispensary, O’Neill also practiced at Melville Place, Grange Lane, Birkenhead,
*Robert Stark Tate 1818 – 1880 LSA London 1841, MRCS England 1846,was a British orthodox physician, Member of the Royal College of Surgeons England, who converted to homeopathy to become Surgeon to the Sunderland Homeopathic Dispensary, Surgeon at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Member of the British Homeopathic Society. Robert Stark Tate practiced at 1 Bennett Place, Blackheath, and at 20, St. John’s Street, Sunderland,