There have been many British Homeopathic Societies and Associations, and many British homeopathic journals in the past, ancestors to our present day organisations. The following is a work in progress, listing them all.
In 1847, Henry Charles FitzRoy Somerset 8th Duke of Beaufort (1824-1899) was the President of the British Homeopathic Association (John James Drysdale, John Rutherford Russell, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, The British Journal of Homeopathy, (Arthur Hall & Co, 25 Paternoster Row, London; William Headland, 16 Princess Street Hanover Square, London; Henry Turner, 26 Piccadilly, Manchester; John Walker, 97 Bold Street, Liverpool; Maclachlan and Stewart & Co, Edinburgh, 1847). Page 550),
The Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Practitioners and Students The Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners was founded in 1851, at 82 Gloucester Place, Portman Square London, to defend Alfred Crosby Pope, who was refused his medical diploma at Edinburgh on the basis that he had converted to homeopathy.
- That homeopathy is utterly opposed to science and common sense, that it should in no way be countenanced or practiced.
- That homeopaths have utilised the press to heap scorn upon allopaths.
- That allopaths will not consult together with homeopaths.
- That allopaths who consort with homeopaths, and those physicians who combine the two methods of treament should henceforth become anathema.
- That a committe be formed to set out these principles as laws.
- That this committe thanks Edinburgh for its stand against homeopathy, and to refuse diplomas to anathemised practitioners.
- That these resolutions be printed and sent out to all medical schools and widely to the press.
A meeting was held immediately after the Manchester Guardian published an attack on homeopathy on 20th September 1851, and on the number of Reverend gentlemen who had come out to support it, stating baldly that Parsons were always quick to embrace quackery and were famous as ‘quack fanciers’ and for their support of charlatans, and reporting on the formation of the Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners.
The article in the Manchester Guardian included a condensed history of the dispute at Edinburgh, beginning with the conversion to homeopathy of William Henderson, a Professor of General Pathology at the University of Edinburgh, who was tasked to condemn homeopathy, but ended up a staunch advocate, becoming very influential in homeopathy, and debating many times with his professional colleague James Young Simpson.
James Young Simpson in his Homoeopathy: its tenets and tendencies, openly accused Thomas Roupell Everest of preaching homeopathy from the pulpit, asking plaintifly if the Clergy would allow Unitarians, Mormons or Mohammedens to preach their beliefs so? James Young Simpson accused John Rutherford Russell of using the Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners to promote homeopathy ‘on the cheap’. William Henderson wrote Homeopathy Fairly Represented as a direct rebuttal of James Young Simpson’s attack on homeopathy.
The article in the Manchester Guardian continued, explaining that Robert Douglas Hale had been alerted to the prejudice against homeopathy in Edinburgh, and had transferred to St. Andrews to obtain his graduation diploma, resulting in demand that he return it, which he did not, though he was forced to leave the town.
The homeopathic practitioners in Manchester decided that enough was enough, and they proceeded to protest against a minority of allopaths deciding to issue ‘laws’ of practice and force them on the whole profession of medicine. A public meeting was held in Manchester, where William Armitage, Henry Dixon, Richard Durnford, William Philip Harrison, Walter R Johnson, George Stevenson Knowles, Alfred Crosby Pope, William W Scholefield, Charles Caulfield Tuckey, Arthur de Noe Walker and many others, decided that homeopathy required the protection of a Royal Charter or a Legal Enactment to protect it from their enemies, and they proposed that a Branch of the General Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners be immediately set in motion, noting that in London an Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners was already up and functioning.
The members of the London Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners included George Edward Allshorn, George Atkin, Francis Black, James Dore Blake, James Chapman, John Chapman, Paul Francois Curie, John James Drysdale, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, George Fearon, Edward Hamilton, William Hering, C B Kerr, William Kingdon, Joseph Laurie, Thomas Robinson Leadam, William MacDonald, Richard Robert Madden, John Edward Norton, John Ozanne, John Rutherford Russell, David Wilson and many others. The London Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners declared:
- That immediate steps to enlist members to the friends of Homeopathy be made.
- That a circular be issued to enlist support for homeopathy.
- That a committee be formed.
- That tracts and pamphlets be issued to inform the public of the practices of allopaths to defame homeopathy.
- That other measures be taken to protect homeopathy.
- That local committees be formed in every town where there is a homeopath.
- That Robert Ellis Dudgeon be appointed to the committe to oversee events.
- That a secretary be appointed.
Within weeks, branches of the Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners were set up in Bath, Brighton, Dublin, Edinburgh, Wickwar and reports of other branches’ formation came in daily to the British Journal of Homeopathy, and the following resolutions were inserted into the press.
- Homeopathy is thoroughly reconcilable with science and common sense, and that the thousands of medical men who have converted to homeopathy should give testament and precedent to its thorough investigation.
- That people hostile to homeopathy are totally ignorant of its principles and steadfastly refuse to study and investigate it or witness its practice, despite numerous invitations to do so.
- That despite the differences between homeopathy and allopathy, there is absolutely nothing to stop practitioners from either discipline consulting together.
- That the resolutions of people hostile to homeopathy represent a tiny minority, and as such their views are worthless.
In 1852, The Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners came out again to defend Patrick A Brady, who was refused his medical diploma on the grounds that he had converted to homeopathy. Patrick A Brady was also refused a position as Surgeon at Bradford Infirmary in 1852, alongside John Le Gay Brereton 1827 – 1886 (who eventually emigrated to Australia where he opened the first Turkish bath in Australia). In 1852, Patrick A Brady received his medical diploma.
By the end of 1852, the membership of the Association had mushroomed to well over 1000 names (the list omits the number of ladies who also subscribed to the Association, to keep the list manageable and in a form which could be published).
The supporters of the Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners now included William Henry Ashurst, and Richard Whately Archbishop of Dublin, just to pick two names from this list.
In 1853, The Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners issued regular updates on the progress of the Alfred Crosby Pope case, reporting on the Edinburgh and Aberdeen Schools of Medicine and their prejudicial treatment of homeopathic graduates from their establishments.
The result was a national outcry and international outrage, (many hundreds of physicians and surgeons – 26 being graduates of the University of Edinburgh – 191 clergymen – including Alfred’s father – 47 Magistrates and 67 military and naval officers all signed a petition against this outrage!).
Eventually, the efforts of the Association resulted in Alfred Crosby Pope being awarded a degree from the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1852. William Hamilton, Professor of Logic at the University of Edinburgh came out to support Alfred Crosby Pope, and eventually, he was awarded his degree.
Prince Albert came from a family tradition of homeopathy, and when he came to England to marry Queen Victoria, he renewed the Royal patronage of homeopathy. The debate was ended, and the London Homeopathic Hospital opened its doors in 1851 to great aclaim, against this stormy backdrop.
In 1855, James John Garth Wilkinson wrote to Benjamin Hall to argue the case for provision of homeopathy into local hospitals, intimating that Francis William Brady MP would argue the case for homeopathy (in fact James John Garth Wilkinson calls Francis William Brady MP the ‘Luther of Homeopathy in the House of Commons‘).
In 1867, Frederick Hervey Foster Quin was able to obtain an amendment to the Medical Registration Bill; a clause was added enabling the Privy Council to withdraw the right to award degrees from any university that tried to impose the type of medicine practised by its graduates.
The Association for the Protection of Homeopathic Students and Practitioners had won!
The Blackie Foundation Trust – founded by Margery Blackie to promote homeopathic education and research, and to support the annual Margery Blackie memorial Lecture.
The British Homeopathic Society Instituted 10.4.1844 – eventually became the Faculty of Homeopathy in 1943.
Founded by Frederick Hervey Foster Quin, who after an abortive attempt in 1837, finally managed to found this Society in 1844 at a dinner at his house to celebrate the anniversary of Samuel Hahnemann‘s death. (NB: Constantine Hering was present at the meeting at Frederick Hervey Foster Quin‘s house when the British Homeopathic Society was founded in 1844), The Liverpool Homeopathic Society was a branch of the British Homeopathic Society. The conditions of the Society were:
- That membership was only open to Medical Practitioners and Medical Students.
- That new members would prepare a dissertation or a paper to present to the Society.
- That London members who live within five miles of the Society’s rooms would be fined a shilling for being absent at any meeting at which a quorum was not formed.
Patrons: William Debenham, Thomas Roupell Everest, William Leaf, Presidents: John Galley Blackley, George Henry Burford, George Mann Carfrae, Giles Forward Goldsbrough, James Johnstone, Edward M Madden, Herbert Wright Nankivell, Edwin Awdas Neatby, William Theophilus Ord, Frederick Hervey Foster Quin, Peter Proctor, Alexander Archibald Hagart Speirs, Edward Wynne Thomas, Harold Wynne Thomas, Percy Roberts Wilde,
Members: George Edward Allshorn, George Atkin, William Bayes, Henry Belcher, Vernon Bell, Charles Harrison Blackley, John Wilton Frankland Blundell, Christopher Osmond Bodman, Francis Henry Bodman, John Hervey Bodman, *William Bradshaw, David Dyce Brown, Henry Buck, Hugh Cameron, Jasper S Capper, Alfred Midgley Cash, John Paul Cavenagh, Edward Charles Chepmell, John Henry Clarke, Arthur Crowden Clifton, William Clowes Pritchard, Robert Thomas Cooper, Eugene Cronin, William Simpson Craig, Alex Richard Croucher, John Roberson Day, Jacob Dixon, John James Drysdale, George Dunn, Thomas Ashcroft Ellwood, Thomas Engall, George Fearon, James Gibbs Blake, Joseph Gilioli, James Goodshaw, Arthur Guinness, James Manby Gully, Sydney Hanson, Gilbert Hare, Robert Harmer Smith, James Peddie Harper, Alfred Edward Hawkes, Thomas Hahnemann Hayle, John William Hayward, William Headland, John William Hobart Barlee, James Vaughan Hughes, Richard Hughes, Alfred Orlando Jones, C. B. Kerr, Joseph Kidd, C T Knox Shaw, George Lade, Joseph Laurie, Thomas Robinson Leadam, Octavia Margaret Sophia Lewin, Edward Cronin Lowe, William MacDonald, Charles Hills MacKintosh, David MacNish, Alfred Markwick, Richard Tuthill Massy, Victor Massol, William Henry Mayne, J Bell Metcalfe, George Lennox Moore, William Morgan, Herbert Nankivell, George Newman, Edith Neild (first female member), John Ozanne, Alfred Crosby Pope, Thomas Eadie Purdom, William Percy Purdom, Percival George Quinton, William Cash Reed, Henry Reynolds, David Ridpath, Henry Robertson, George Scriven, William Barclay Browne Scriven, Henry Shackleton, Edward Barton Shuldham, Thomas Skinner, Gerard Smith, *Robert Stark Tate, Charles Thompson, Charles LLoyd Tuckey, Joshua Lambert Vardy, *William Henry Watts, Dionysius Wielobycki, Severin Wielobycki, David Wilson, Neville Wood, Dudley d’Auvergne Wright. In 1943, the British Homeopathic Society became The Faculty of Homeopathy and was incorporated under the Company’s Act 1929, and the Faculty of Homeopathy Act 1950.
In 1860, the Society began to issue a record of its proceedings, The Annals and Transactions of the British Homeopathic Society and the London Homeopathic Hospital . In 1893, it became known as the Journal of the British Homeopathic Society, and in 1913, it took over the British Homeopathic Journal. In 1920, this journal became quarterly, in which form it is still published today under the simple title Homeopathy.
The British Homeopathic Society published The British Homeopathic Pharmacopœia in 1876
The British Journal of Homeopathy
Editors: Francis Black, John James Drysdale, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, Giles Forward Goldsbrough, Richard Hughes, James Douglas Kenyon, *John McLachlin, William Theophilus Ord, John Rutherford Russell, Russell Reynolds, Thomas George Stonham, William Lees Templeton,
The European Central Council of Homeopaths ECCH began after representatives from 5 countries met in the Netherlands in June 1990. A pan-European council was formed to represent the homeopathy profession. 20 years later, one of the original founders, Stephen Gordon, is still serving as the appointed ECCH General Secretary. ECCH currently has a membership of 27 national associations in 24 different countries.
The European Federation for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (EFCAM), became a member of the EU Commission’s Health Policy Forum (EUHPF) in 2010, (EUHPF was founded by the European Central Council of Homeopaths),
The Faculty of Homeopathy
The Hahnemann Medical Society
The Hahnemann Medical Society was instituted on 10 April 1850, at 16 Bulstrode Street, Manchester Square. Early members included Treasurer Thomas Engall, George Edward Allshorn, John Anderson, George Atkin, Francis Bellamy, Francis Black, James Dore Blake, John Chapman, Edward Charles Chepmell, John Henry Clarke, Edward Cronin, Paul Francois Curie, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, John Epps, James Epps, George Epps, Joseph Hands, Sydney Hanson, Thomas Hahnemann Hayle, Amos Henriques, William Hering, Claude Buchanan Ker, Joseph D. Laurie, Edward M. Madden, Henry R. Madden, Henry Malan, John Hodgson Ramsbotham, Henry Robertson, Mathias Roth, Severin Wielobycki, James John Garth Wilkinson, David Wilson, and George Wyld.
The Hahnemann Publishing Society Instituted 10th April, 1848.
Formed for promoting the Publication and Circulation of good practical Homeopathic Works, and first, a New Materia Medica and Pharmacopeia.
The Society has already published the First Volume of the Pathogenetic Cyclopaedia, and the First Part of a New Materia Medica, containing the articles Kali Bichromicum, arranged by John James Drysdale; Aconitum Napellus, by Robert Ellis Dudgeon, and Arsenicum by Francis Black.
A Meeting of the Society was held at Leamington, on August the 10th, 1854, at which the following Members were present : Francis Black, John James Drysdale, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, George Calvert Holland, C B Kerr, Richard Robert Madden, John Rutherford Russell, Thomas Engall, William Austin Gillow, and Edward Phillips.
At this Meeting, it was proposed by John Rutherford Russell, seconded by Robert Ellis Dudgeon, and carried unanimously, “That the Society be continued, as at present constituted, till the completion of the Pathogenetic Cyclopedia, which, under an improved form, it is expected will be completed in one volume, and published in the course of the next twelve months; and the Secretary and Treasurer be empowered to make a further call on its completion, to an amount not exceeding one pound per share.”
Members: Edward Acworth, George Atkin, Francis Black, John Blyth, Mr. Brooks, Matthew James Chapman, Edward Charles Chepmell, Arthur Crowden Clifton, George Blair Cochran, William Simpson Craig, John James Drysdale, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, Thomas Engall, George Fearon, William Austin Gillow, James Manby Gully, William Philip Harrison, William Headland, Mr. Bering, Mr. Hewitt, George James Hilbers, George Calvert Holland, F W Irvine, C B Kerr, ?Joseph Lawrence, Charles Hills MacKintosh, ?William McLeod, Richard Robert Madden, William Morgan, John Edward Norton, Edward Phillips, John Hodgson Ramsbotham, John Rutherford Russell, ?Edmund Smith, Dr. Viettinghoff, Arthur de Noe Walker, Rev. T. Wright, Dr. Severin Wielobycki,
Health and Homeopathy (see the British Homeopathic Association)
Homeopathy (see the British Homeopathic Association)
Homeopathy Today (see the British Homeopathic Association)
The Homeopathic Medical Association founded 1985
Administration Office : 7 Darnley Road, Gravesend, Kent DA11 0RU. Registered Office : 10-12 Wrotham Road, Gravesend, Kent DA11 0PE
Founders: Pyara Singh, Surjit Randhawa,
The Homeopathic Observer Edited and published by the staff of the Manchester and Salford Homeopathic Dispensary,
The Homeopathic Publishing Company – (Anon, American Homeopathic Review, Volume 5, (J.T.S. Smith & Sons., 1865). Page 94. See also Edward Harris Ruddock (Ed.), The Homoeopathic World, Volume 5, (1870). Frontspiece. Also, this entry is compiled from information provided in an email exchange with Peter Morrell 9.2.13, and a late night phone call with Francis Treuherz FSHom 9.2.13) I am not absolutely sure who ran The Homeopathic Publishing Company in 1881, possibly John Henry Clarke, who was definitely running this company in 1888 from 2 Finsbury Circus, as it published The Homeopathic World (but then so did Epps, Thatcher Publishers at this time!) The very first mention of The Homeopathic Publishing Company I can find is in 1870. The subject of a specialised homeopathic publishing company was first raised in America in 1864, and by 1870, Edward Harris Ruddock was the editor of The Homoeopathic World, which was published by The Homeopathic Publishing Company at 2 Finsbury Circus, London EC. Leslie J Speight was working for The Homeopathic Publishing Company in the 1920s, when he met John Henry Clarke but never got to know him as such. The Homeopathic Publishing Company was owned and run by Leslie J Speight (1901-1995) and Phyllis M Speight (1912-?still alive) from the 1940s (we think). The Speights were/are British lay homeopaths who were important publishers of homeopathic books, through The Homeopathic Publishing Company (at 13 Bedford Square, WC1 (1943), and then at 24 St. George’s Street, W1 (1947), and also possibly from Landor Road, Stockwell, SW9 at this time, though a lot was lost in the London bombings during WWII. The Homeopathic Publishing Company transferred with the Speights to Rustington in Sussex (in the 1960s?), and then onto Bradford, Holsworthy in Devon as Health Science Press, before being sold to C W Daniel Co. Ltd., 1 Church Path, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1JP, a well established publisher specialising in alternative medicine, until 1992, when the archive of C W Daniel was received by the International Institute of Social History (IISH (http://www.iisg.nl/archives/en/files/c/ARCH00279full.php)) in 1992. The archive of IISH contains the archive of books from The C.W. Daniel Company, which have been transferred to the library of the IISH and can be found by using the collection code “C.W.Daniel”. ‘…In the 1960s and 1970s, the Institute benefited from the growing interest in the history of social movements and ideas. It resumed its old task of saving the archives and libraries of persecuted people and organizations…’
The Homeopathy Research Institute (HRI) founded 2009
The Homeopathic Society (originally known as The Hahnemann Society), merged with The Homeopathic Trust in 1990, and then both of these organisations merged with the British Homeopathic Association in 1999).
The Homeopathic Times 1843 –
Editor: Charles Edwin Wheeler
Incorporated Institute of Homeopaths Ltd
Set up in 1946 for lay homeopaths by Edwin D W Tomkins and Leslie J Speight after a large public rally in Caxton Hall. This organisation lapsed after c.12 years. The books were then returned to the Board of Trade and the company ‘wound up’.
The International Council for Homeopathy (ICH),
The International Homeopathic Congress
Founder: Edward William Berridge
International Hahnemannian Association 1880 – 1959 published Transactions annually from 1880 – 1927 when the International Hahnemannian Association absorbed the Homeopathic Recorder (a publication the International Hahnemannian Association had been associated with since at least as early as 1898 and previously published by Boericke and Tafel) and thus the Homeopathic Recorder became the main publication of the International Hahnemannian Association. Julian Winston 2003. Proceedings was also published by the International Hahnemannian Association as early as 1901.
The International Society for Complementary Medicine Research (ISCMR), recently organised the 5th International Congress on Complementary Medicine Research in 2010,
The Irish Homeopathic Society
The Liverpool Medico Chirurgical Society instituted 1857 Presidents: John James Drysdale, John William Hayward, Honorary Secretary: Edward Mahony, Treasurer and Secretary: P Procter, Members: Edmund Lord Hudson, The London and Provincial Homœopathic Medical Directory
Editor: William Bayes
Founded 1840 at 17 Hanover Square President: Thomas Egerton 2nd Earl of Wilton, Treasurer: William Leaf, Physician: Paul Francois Curie, Honorary Secretary: William Warne, Chemist: William Headland, Collector: Middleton
The Manchester Homeopathic and General Medico Chirugical Society Hosted by Alfred Crosby Pope is held at the Manchester Homeopathic Hospital,
Honorary Secretary: John Mason Galloway,
Members: Charles D F Phillips,
Manchester Homeopathic Institution (Anon, The Homeopathic Medical Directory of Great Britain and Ireland, and annual abstract of British homeopathic serial literature, (Henry Turner, 1871). Page 115).
General Committee: Jacob Bright,
Editor: Percy Roberts Wilde,
The Medical Observer
Vice President: *William Bradshaw,
Members: George Edward Allshorn, James Gibbs Blake, Booth, *William Bradshaw, Hugh Cameron, Juan Norberto Casanova, Samuel Cockburn, G A Craig, William Simpson Craig, John James Drysdale, George Dunn (Secretary), Grey, John Mason Galloway, Richard Sandon Gutteridge, Thomas Hahnemann Hayle, George James Hilbers, George Calvert Holland, Irvine, Joseph Laurie, Adam Lyschinski, MacDowal, George MacLeod, John Murray Moore, John B Morehouse, Charles Thomas Pearce, Charles D F Phillips, Alfred Crosby Pope, Charles Ransford, Andrew Rowan, John Rutherford Russell, William W Scholefield, William Sharp, John Stuart Sutherland, Henry Turner, Walker, Wright,
The Organon Journal 1878 – 1881 edited by Edward William Berridge, Adolph Lippe, Thomas Skinner, Samuel Swan. Though in existence for only a short period of time, The Organon Journal was one of the most important homeopathic publications of the 19th century – published in Liverpool.
*William Bradshaw MRCS England 1840, LSA London 1840, MD Aberdeen 1854, MBHS, was a British orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy to become Physician for the Nottinghamshire Homeopathic Dispensary, Vice President of the Midland Homeopathic Medical Society, Member of the Northern Homeopathic Medical Association, Member of the British Homeopathic Society, Bradshaw also practiced in Pepper Street, Nottingham, Holmrook in Cumbria, and in Worthing, and he submitted cases and articles to various homeopathic journals,
Andrew Rowan ?1819 – ?1881, MD Erlang 1846, LSA London 1864, LFPS Glasgow 1864, LRCP Edinburgh 1864, was a British orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy, Member of the Northern Homeopathic Medical Association, Andrew Rowan practiced at Regent Villa, Barnsley, Andrew Rowan attended the 1877 Annual Congress of Homeopathic Practitioners, Andrew Rowan wrote Acute Rheumatism, its causes and cure,
*Robert Stark Tate 1818 – 1880 LSA London 1841, MRCS England 1846,was a British orthodox physician, Member of the Royal College of Surgeons England, who converted to homeopathy to become Surgeon to the Sunderland Homeopathic Dispensary, Surgeon at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Member of the British Homeopathic Society, Robert Stark Tate practiced at 1 Bennett Place, Blackheath, and at 20, St. John’s Street, Sunderland,
*William Henry Watts MRCS England 1857, MBHS, was a British orthodox physician, Medical Officer at the General Lying in Hospital in London, who converted to homeopathy to become a Surgeon at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Medical Officer for the Caledonian Fire and Life Insurance Company, Member of the British Homeopathic Society, William Henry Watts practiced in Brighton, and at 7 Westbourne Place, Bishops Road, and at 10 Park End, Sydenham, William Henry Watts was active in homeopathic politics, and he attended the dinner in honour of Frederick Hervey Foster Quin in 1861, William Henry Watts wrote A New and Comprehensive System of Materia Medica and Therapeutics, a supplementary repertory for Charles Julius Hempel‘s System of Materia Medica,