William Clowes Pritchard M.R.C.S. L.R.C.P. B.A. (9 June 1867 – 6 July 1928) was a British orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy. He was Surgeon to the Buchanann Hospital, St. Leonard’s on Sea, and Ophthalmic Surgeon to the Hastings and St. Leonard’s Homoeopathic Dispensary. In 1898 he was elected a Member of the British Homeopathic Society and in February 1907 was made a Fellow of the Society.
William Clowes Pritchard was born in Newcastle, New South Wales, the third of fourteen children to Primitive Methodist Minister Edward Cook Pritchard (1833 – 1918) and his Australian wife, Mary Ann Sophia Goodsell (1848 – 1896).
By 1899 Clowes Pritchard was an Assistant Resident Medical Officer at the London Homoeopathic Hospital.
In 1904 Clowes Pritchard married Cheshire-born Ethel Barker (1876 – 1965). They had seven children, including: Geoffrey W. Pritchard (1905 – 1995), Douglas Clowes Pritchard (1906 – 1986), Ethel Wynsome Pritchard (1908 – 1993), Barbara Pritchard (1909 – 2006).
In 1900-1901 Clowes Pritchard was living and practicing at Wellington Square, Hastings.
In addition to his medical work, Clowes Pritchard also exhibited his prize carnations, one named after his wife, at the Royal Horticultural Society, Olympia, in July 1911.
In 1922-23 Clowes Pritchard was President of the British Homoeopathic Society.
In December 1923 the foundation stone was laid for a new women’s wing at the Buchanan Hospital. This was named the Cowes Pritchard Wing in his honour.
At the time of his death William Clowes Pritchard and his wife were living at Beechwood, Baldslow Road, Hastings. He died at his other property, Beales Barn Farm, Cousley Wood, Wadhurst, Sussex, after a long and painful illness on 6 July 1928, aged 61. William Clowes Pritchard was buried in Hastings Cemetery.